Could your little one use a Big?
It all starts with the right role models, and Big Brothers Big Sisters is the place to begin a relationship with one. For over 100 years nationally and 40 years locally, we’ve been able to recruit, screen, match and support mentoring relationships that have changed the lives of thousands of young people in our local area, one Little at a time. This is thanks, in large part, to private donations and foundation funding.
You'll Feel the Impact as much as your Child
A study for Big Brothers Big Sisters found that kids matched with a Big Brother or Big Sister:
- are more confident
- are more likely to steer clear of drugs and alcohol
- do better in school
- get along better with their family and friends
- feel better about themselves
You know what’s best for your child. So we’ll need your help from the start, providing information about your child’s strengths and needs, and ultimately approving the Big Brother or Big Sister match. But your role doesn’t end there.
Families as Partners
When it comes to the future of our children and the well-being of our communities, we’re all in this together. So it should come as no surprise that we need the parents and guardians of Littles to be involved every step of the way, starting with the initial match.
Not only will you provide information about your child’s strengths and needs, but you’ll also approve the selection of the Big Brother or Big Sister in the community-based program. Once the match is made, you remain closely involved in many ways, including:
- Approving activities and outings for your child and their Big
- Asking your child questions about those outings, and sharing what you learn with the agency staff on a monthly basis
- Reporting your child’s progress and milestones to the agency on a monthly basis
(Big Brothers Big Sisters will contact you, but we welcome your feedback any time)
- Participating in training on child safety offered by Big Brothers Big Sisters staff, and communicating with your child about the training he or she receives
Safety from the start
Your child’s safety is extremely important to us. Big Brothers Big Sisters conducts a thorough background check on every volunteer in our program, and every relationship is closely monitored and supported by a professionally trained match specialist.
Making the best possible match between Little and Big is critical to the growth and development of a child. Before we begin the matching process, we start by thoroughly screening potential bigs.
Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence require each volunteer to complete an extensive screening process that includes:
- A formal written application
- Background screenings including fingerprinting
- 3-4 personal and professional reference checks
- An in-person interview
- An orientation and training process that outlines the individualized needs of your child and provides information and resources on how to encourage your child’s development.
Big Brothers Big Sisters also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing monthly communication with you, your child and your child’s Big. This is a requirement of the match and it is the best way to build a strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future success.